Sunday, July 19, 2009

My first official blog from Asuncion,Paraguay!

>

Well I am FINALLY here in Paraguay - It took a year and many prayers to get here, but here I am! Part of me can’t even believe that I am actually typing this from Asuncion!

So, I left on July 16 at 7pm and arrived in Buenos Aires at 5am. Apparently Argentina is having many issues with the H1N1 flu and so we had to wear masks to get off the plane and enter the airport (like the photo? LOL). I was afraid I would have to continue to wear the mask for my entire 6 hour layover. But fortunately everyone took it off once we got inside (don’t know how much sense that makes, but whatever! ;) I didn’t sleep much on the plane so I put my backpack under my head and slept in the airport for awhile.

The flight to Paraguay is only an hour and a half and was very easy. When I arrived I got through customs very quickly and was greeted by about a dozen people from our church. They made me a HUGE sign welcoming me – it was soo sweet! I don’t have those photos yet, but hopefully I will get them soon! FYI: The custom is to kiss twice, once on each cheek and say “que tal?” (how are you)



We drove back to Francisco and Liz’s house where we had a huge lunch with everyone. There was DELICIOUS sausage and chicken and beef kabobs, rice and a corn dish that is called “chipa guasu” – sort of a cream corn casserole thing (not my favorite part though, it was really salty). An interesting custom I have noticed is that everyone eats their food and THEN everyone gets a beverage to drink – Coca Cola is HUGE here by the way!

It is cold here – the houses don’t have insulation making it extra cold inside. I am so glad that I brought sweaters and jackets. The days have been like 60/70 degrees, but I think the nights are like 40/50 degrees! Cold to everyone here! I wish I had my electric blanket!

Saturday : We lounged around in the morning. But after lunch, Liz and her two kids (ages 5 and 3) went for a walk. We stopped first for a snack called a “Chipa” – it has a similar consistency to a soft pretzel but is made with bread and cheese. Then you drink it with something called a “Cocido” that is made with herbs but has a strong burned taste (not big on that personally).

Then we walked to 2 different malls. One was very big with lots of American stores like Nike, Crocs, and Radio Shack. It even has a Kodak store where I think I should be able to print photos (gotta keep up the scrapbooking here!) We ate some delicious ice cream and then headed back.

(FYI: I decided that I can move anywhere as long as I can find delicious ice cream! LOL)

Saturday night the church threw me a welcome party! It was sooooo sweet of everyone. We ate yummy empanadas with chicken and cheese. We all danced for a long time – they played music from the United States (old music though like “twist and shout” and “pump up the jam”), Brazil, and Paraguay. I was tired by the end but it was a lot of fun being with everyone. They all speak Spanish so quickly, but they are being very patient with my lack of Spanish!



Sunday: I went to my first church service. I didn’t understand a lot, but I was able to get the idea just by reading the scriptures that they used in the sermon. After wards, I stayed and ate lunch with some other singles. We ate breaded beef (like chicken fried steak) and “ensalada aleman” (potatoes, onions and mayo).

Afterwards it was on to another couple’s house where we ate a huge lunch of beef and potatoes and salad and bread – quite the feast (no pics of that though) I ended the night with a girls’ night out of yummy ice cream for a woman’s birthday.

I am little overwhelmed with everything here, but I am also having a great time! God is definitely taking good care of me here down here and everyone has just been so sweet – I think it is going to be very easy to make some very good friends here!

I hope that you are all doing well.

When you say goodbye here you say “Ciao”

So Ciao to you all until next time!

Abrazos y besos (xxxooo)

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Everything sounds wonderful. What a blessing to be able to connect with so many nice people immediately. I was surprised to hear about the cold weather....I was just thinking that you were steamy hot! Obviously I need to update my geography skills. So happy to hear the Kodak store will support the scrapbooking fun!

    Abrazos y besos to you too!!

    Love, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete