Wednesday, May 5, 2010

World Cup Fever is just beginning!

So the World Cup is starting up soon - the local newspaper even has a countdown on their website. Paraguay is of course going, as is the USA. I can't remember if I mentioned it in another post or not...but the night that Paraguay qualified for the World Cup was quite the exciting night!! Everyone was lined up along the streets waving PY flags, car horns were honking, people were cheering...it was SUPER exciting for everyone involved! They were happy that they qualified, but they were also happy that they had qualified before Argentina!! (pretty intense rivalry between these 2 countries). LOL

Anyway...so these World Cup sticker books came out less than a month ago and they have become a HUGE hit with all the children down here. What's funny is that I went ahead and bought one last week as a fun souvenir. But today there were 3 or 4 women standing outside the school giving the books away for free. Why, you ask? Because the money isn't in the books it's in the stickers that you put inside and I am here to tell you that it is QUITE the racket! LOL




Here's how it works: inside the book are two pages for every country participating. There is a sticker for every country, as well as a sticker for every player playing. There are also stickers for every stadium they will play in, as well as just official World Cup Stickers in general. IN FACT there are 640 stickers all together!!!! what is that about??

So, I went ahead and bought 2 packs of stickers for about $1. Inside each packet, there were ONLY 5 stickers...TOTAL racket I tell ya! Can you get a grasp on how much $ these parents are paying here? craziness!
With all the doubles/extras, the students at my school have even started some game to try and win stickers from other kids. Not entirely sure how it works yet, but they are all VERY addicted to it!

Here you can see the page for Paraguay - very excited to already have 2 players from the team.


Here is the US team - nothing yet!


So, will I be able to fill my book, no probably not. But am I still going to spend a few bucks to get a bunch of stickers, yea I will! =) It's fun!

Go PARAGUAY!


2 comments:

  1. You know I had that exact same book as a kid, but with all the NFL football players. You can always just email the company and buy the extra stickers you don't have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so totally fun. I remember the football books well and the avid fun to collect those stickers. I'm sure a Soccer book will be a most excellent way to remember your remaining time in PY. Go PY!!

    ReplyDelete