Thursday, May 27, 2010

New friends from Jacksonville

Although all the churches in Florida support the churches in South America, the church in Jacksonville has specifically decided to support the church here in Asuncion, Paraguay. So this past week, we were lucky enough to have 7 members of the church fly down here to spend the week with us. The group consisted of a married couple, their son and daughter and then 3 single women from the church. The group came down here to not only learn about Paraguay, but also to encourage the members, as well as to participate in 2 service projects. I was battling a cold when they got here, so I wasn't able to help out with their 2 projects. But, I know that they first helped fix up a family's house that was in desperate need of painting and repair. Then they also went to an orphanage Saturday afternoon, bringing them toys and spending time with them.

Here is a photo of us waiting in the airport for them. Yes, there are a couple of words that aren't spelled correctly, but I was told it makes the sign that much more endearing! I agree! =)


The group arrived late Wednesday night, so we moved our midweek service to Thursday night. After church, a group of us went to a fast food place called Pancholo's to grab a bite to eat. From left to right is Tere, April, Yessi, Guille and Guille. April is the girl who stayed with Guille and Yessi and I. She was super fun and we instantly hit it off and became fast friends! She unfort only knew a few words in Spanish, but with her personal translator (me - LOL), she did her best to talk with everyone!



Friday night, we invited all of the singles over to the house for a devotional and a traditional Paraguayan asado. We grilled beef, sausage and had many of the fixin's including mandioca (yucca), rice and potato salad. Everyone had a blast! In this photo is Ricardo, Alma, Vale, Derlis, Sarah and Nancy (in the back). Sarah and Alma were 2 of our FL visitors.


This is David and his sister Sarah and then April. I was told that David and Sarah don't like traditional poses for photos - hence the funny look David has! LOL


Here is a photo with a lot of the women who came. The girl on the left in black is Maria, the third single woman who came with the group. Alma is in the middle, April and Sarah up front.


Saturday night a bunch of us went to see a concert by a Paraguayan group. They had guitars, bass, drums and percussion - it was great. I love this photo b/c you can see the lead singer using a cow's jaw bone as an instrument - that was a new one for me! LOL


After the concert, we took a quick group shot and then went to go eat some dinner.


This is a monument for the dead Paraguayan heroes - just love how it looks at night!


This is the yummy fish stew thing I ate for dinner. It was tomato based with onions and potatoes, not spicy though (most food isn't spicy here at all!) - but oh so yummy!



On Sunday, the church invited a woman to come play the harp for the end of our service. Apparently, Paraguay is well-known for its harp music. In the middle a bunch of us got up and started dancing - it was spontaneous and so much fun!


As I have mentioned before, World Cup Fever is in full swing. We took everyone to the mall and some group had painted a horse with red stripes to promote the World Cup - too funny!


Here is a photo of all of us at the mall!


Monday night was pizza, card games and dancing at the house for all the singles - remember how I mentioned David doesn't like to do the typical pose for photos - this one was of course no exception. So, although he looks bored, he was just trying to be funny! =)


Here is a photo of Guy and Loretta Berndt - the couple leading this crazy group! LOL Guy is even wearing his new PY World Cup jersey - I need to get me one of those too I think!


They stayed for almost a week and I know that the Paraguayans and the peeps from Jacksonville all had a blast! I think we may have even convinced a couple of them to come live down here for a year or so - pray for that! They were all just such wonderful people, so encouraging and loving to us! I know everyone here was super grateful for their visit!









2 comments:

  1. Oh so much fun. You are such an inspiration and I'm sure you are a great personal translator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thrilled for your church as well as for you and your friends to have the Florida members visiting. What a joy it must have been. Thanks for the explanation of the shirt that Guy was wearing.....I saw that in a photo and thought....odd...but well, OK! Now I know that it was special and related to the World Cup...too funny! I just couldn't imagine the "whys" of that shirt. ha!! Guy and Loretta looked oh so very nice. Yea for all of you!

    ReplyDelete