Monday, March 29, 2010

My B-day in Paraguay

Thursday, March 25 I officially turned 35 (dang that feels old to say!) and had my first birthday here in Paraguay. The tradition here is that you celebrate your birthday on whatever day it falls on. Whoever can come heads over to your house around 8 or 9 and then the party begins!

I hit a party supply store a couple of a weeks ago and found the cutest Strawberry Shortcake dessert plates and decided that that just needed to be my theme! I LOVED her as a kid. I had the sheets, sleeping bag, dolls. I think I even had the lunch box! So I decided it was time to bring her back. I bought a plastic tablecloth and then some strawberry candies to throw on top of the table. I also had red, pink and white balloons hanging up – SUPER fun!

My mom was nice enough to send me money so I could throw a pizza party for everyone (THANKS MOM!). You all know how I love pizza and so I definitely wanted to make that happen!
The pizza was SUPER yummy. We had 4 types: cheese, pepperoni, ham and cheese and veggie. As the night wore on though, they quickly became a mix of everything! I think I have mentioned before how everyone LOVES ham and cheese down here – ham and cheese sandwiches (if they are toasted, they are called mixtos), h&c empanadas…everything! But they also LOVE LOVE green olives, so every pizza MUST have green olives. Me, not so much of a fan of olives, but I bought a ton for the peeps! LOL!

This photo sums it call up!
(the kids who came to the party took the candy and wrote my name SUPER sweet!)

Here is a group shot of everyone.


Here is a photo of my friend Eli and her son


Here is a photo of my friend Paty and me.


Some more photos!

(the pizza with just sauce is just baking to set the crust, we added toppings later and then put it back in the oven)


Since it was a Thursday, most of the singles who didn’t have cars left around 10:30 or so to catch a bus. Those singles and marrieds who did have cars stayed until about 12:30am. A very successful and encouraging birthday!

1 comment:

  1. Strawberry Shortcake....la ta da ta da....hmmm hmmmm hhmmmmmm singing that Strawberry Short cake songs....without the words of course! Brings back wonderful memories of the Strawberry Shortcake "wing" of the house as your room was called by Uncle H. I had to laugh about the sleeping bag. You kids were sooooooo cute in your sleeping bags...Care bear, Strawberry Shortcake and Superman as I recall....in sleeping inside the tent and sheet fort you'd build in the basement. Was that so long ago? WOW!
    Love you sweet kiddo! Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete